Once the weather turns warm, we grill constantly. And by “we”, I mean my husband. I’ll grill if he’s not around, but the vast majority of the time, I do the prep and leave the grilling to him. We have a gas grill which we use most of the time and a Weber kettle that we use for steaks, ribs, pizzas and other foods where charcoal is a must.
We will grill anything: meat, poultry, seafood, veggies. My kids are big fans of food on sticks, like these pork kebabs and my chicken satay.I love to make kebabs when we don’t have a lot of time because the smaller pieces of meat cook quickly.
These pork kebabs are a great weeknight dinner or weekend lunch. Marinade these overnight or at least a few hours for the best flavor. I mix the marinade in a bag, add the pork, throw it in the fridge and then it’s ready when I am, with little cleanup. I typically put the tomatoes on a separate skewer and only grill them about 4 minutes, so they hold their shape.
- Juice of one orange (about ½ cup)
- 3 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic
- 2 tsp. Ancho Chile powder
- 1½ tsp. Hot Pimenton (smoked paprika) - optional or use sweet smoked paprika if you don't like spicy!
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. Kosher salt
- ½ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 lb. Pork loin, trimmed and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 12 grape tomatoes
- ⅓ cup plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp. lime juice
- Chopped cilantro
- 4 pita
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a non-reactive dish or resealable bag. Add the pork and toss to coat thoroughly. Stick it in the fridge for at least 4 hours (I made it in the morning and let it marinate while at work).
- Whisk together the yogurt and lime juice. Season with a little salt. Set aside.
- Just before cooking, preheat grill on high. Thread pork onto skewers and thread tomatoes on a separate skewer., Discard excess marinade.
- Grill pork skewers on high direct heat for 6-8 minutes, turning frequently. On our BBQ, these took 8 minutes. They char beautifully but don't get dry. Grill the tomatoes about 4 minutes.
- Warm the pita in a pan. Divide pork and tomatoes among the pita and top with lettuce, cilantro and yogurt sauce.