I’m a BIG fan of baked eggs. Fresh eggs cracked over a mixture of meat, sauce and veggies: the possibilities are endless. And the dishes are all hearty and comforting, not to mention pretty inexpensive. So it was a no-brainer to try this version when I spotted it in this month’s Food52 cookbook club book pick, Simple by Diana Henry.
It’s my second recipe from the book, the first being the out-of-this-world baked cod. When I read the ingredient lists, I had one of those moments where I wonder how the author got inside my head and developed a dish that included all of my favorite things: spicy merguez lamb sausages, baked eggs, two kinds of beans, all topped with salty, creamy feta cheese. Oh how I love you, Diana Henry.
But of course, I changed it a bit. I adapted it to serve two and we still had leftovers (yay for leftovers!) We had it for dinner, but this would make a fabulous brunch dish as well.
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, plus more to drzzle over
- 6 merguez lamb sausages
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 14-oz. can cherry tomatoes
- ¼ tsp. dried oregano, preferably Greek
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 1 14-oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14-oz. can lima beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 eggs
- cayenne pepper
- ⅓ cup crumble feta
- Heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil in a cast iron pan over high heat. Add the sausages and brown on all sides. Set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium and add the onion. Cook for a few minutes until golden, then add the garlic and cook for another minute.Add the tomatoes with their juice and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the oregano, nutmeg and sugar. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and return the sausages to the pan. Add a good drizzle of olive oil and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Add the beans and more salt. Stir gently then cook about 20 minutes more over low heat, allowing the sauce to reduce even more.
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Break the eggs on top and pop the whole thing in the oven for a couple of minutes until the egg whites are set, but the yolks are still runny.
- Sprinkle the feta over the top and serve immediately.