Fast and easy chicken souvlaki with homemade tzatziki sauce is a quick Greek dinner that is sure to please the whole family.
Greek food was made for summer. Simple ingredients come together in minutes but pack in big flavor. No fuss so you can play a game with the kids or sit back with a cocktail. And every time I make Greek food, I am whisked away to the first half of my honeymoon (many moons ago) spent in Greece. It was there that I first fell in love with Greek yogurt, now my go-to breakfast 5 days a week, drizzled with honey and oh-so-delicious. We ate our fill of fresh seafood, often watching fishermen haul in octopus while we sat at outdoor cafes on the water. So many dishes were simply grilled with a drizzle of olive oil and some lemon, much like this chicken souvlaki.
Lemon, garlic, and oregano are all it takes for moist, juicy chicken souvlaki. Add some tzatziki and serve it with a fresh Greek salad for a healthy dinner. Or pile it all into Greek pita. Either way, it’s delish in minutes! And the kids love the chicken – tender chunks of grilled white meat dipped in yogurt sauce. For my girls, it’s a close second to chicken satay, and just as easy.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of half a lemon, plus half a lemon cut into 6 chunks
- ½ tsp. Greek oregano
- Salt and pepper
- 8 oz. plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. Grated cucumber
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh dill (optional)
- To make the chicken, combine the chicken, garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and oregano in a bowl and toss until chicken is well-coated. Season with salt and pepper. Let marinade for at least 2 hours.
- To make the tzatziki, combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and season to taste with salt. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Prepare a grill for direct grilling. Thread chicken onto skewers with lemon chunks. Grill for 2 minutes a side on high heat, then reduce heat and grill another 3 minutes per side, 10 minutes total cooking time. Serve immediately with tzatziki.