A creamy peanut butter filling is topped with rich chocolate ganache in a buttery shortbread crust in this decadent chocolate peanut butter tart.
This one was for Ana. See, Ana loves peanut butter. Not likes, LOVES. So whenever we see her and her family, I think of peanut butter. And what’s not to love? Rich, creamy peanut buttery filling slathered with a thick ganache topping, all nestled in a crumbly shortbread crust. As an added bonus, only the crust gets baked. The peanut butter filling is whipped up in a bowl and spread into the cooled crust. Then the ganache is spread over the top (and any traces left in the bowl are quickly wiped up by little fingers…)
This chocolate peanut butter tart is easy to make ahead for a dinner party. Pop it into the fridge a day or two ahead and just let it come to room temperature before serving. Aside from chocolate-dulce de leche, chocolate and peanut butter is one of my all-time favorite combinations. And this one is elegant enough for adults, but sure to be a hit with the kids as well.
- 1½ cups flour
- 6 Tbsp. sugar
- ¾ cup (1½ sticks) cold butter, cut into ½-inch cubes
- ½ cup cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ teaspoon coarse or kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- A pinch of salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- To make the crust, combine the ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until moist clumps form. Press into the bottom and up sides of a 9-inch tart pan.
- Bake until golden at the edges, about 15 minutes. Cool completely.
- In a bowl, combine all of the filling ingredients. Beat until light and fluffy, then spread into the cooled tart shell. Place the tart in the refrigerator while you make the ganache.
- To make the ganache, combine the chocolate chips, salt and heavy cream in a glass bowl or measuring cup. Microwave until the chocolate is melted. Stir until smooth, then spread it over the peanut butter filling.
- Chill until set. Remove from refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving.