You won’t believe how easy it is to make this cream sauce. Simple, delicious creamy Parmesan pasta is rich and creamy, with lots of Parmesan and garlic.
Sometimes when I post easy recipes, I feel like I’m somehow cheating. Like I should be offering you complicated recipes or something. But as much as I love spending all day in the kitchen and pretending I’m Thomas Keller at the French Laundry, reality is a whole lot different. So it’s recipes like this one that are the stars in my kitchen. The miraculously perfect cream sauce that’s made with, um, cream (!?!). There’s no butter, no roux, no whisking… no stress. If you can pour cream into a pan, you can make this cream sauce (so seriously, why would you bother with a roux and all that baloney?)
Aside from being joyfully easy, it’s also very versatile. Add some garlic and Parmesan and it’s perfect. But you can also add a sprig of herbs to the cream and it will take on the flavor of the herbs as it cooks. Try thyme or rosemary for example. You can toss in cooked veggies (think peas, spinach, mushrooms) or some protein (chopped prosciutto, chunks of cooked chicken, shrimp) and voila! Dinner.
And the reviews? Rave reviews form the whole clan! I served it with grilled butterflied leg of lamb and roasted beet salad and husband and kids cleaned their plates. Little Eclair ooohed ad aaahed with every bite. Someday I’ll tell her how easy it was…
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- ½ pound orecchiette or other small pasta
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh chives (optional)
- Pour the cream into a large saute pan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and a good pinch of salt. Bring to a simmer. Allow the cream to simmer until thickened, about 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally, but do not let it boil.
- Meanwhile cook pasta according to package directions.
- When cream is thickened, transfer warm pasta to the pan and stir to coat.
- Stir in the Parmesan and season to taste with more salt if needed.
- To serve, top with more Parmesan and fresh chives.