A simple, delicious fresh cherry tomato sauce tossed with fettuccine and topped with rich, creamy burrata and fresh basil.
This is one of those recipes where a few simple, good quality ingredients are all you need. The tomatoes are the stars and I’ll hold onto that taste of summer for as long as I can. Fresh cherry tomatoes straight from the farm, a little olive oil, garlic, basil and pasta, all topped with creamy, rich burrata. The sauce cooks in less time than it takes to cook the pasta and you don’t even have to do anything with the tomatoes besides wash them. And all that means you can put this on the table on a Monday night.
Burrata is a favorite in my house. It’s a fresh Italian cheese that’s mozzarella on the outside and a creamy stracciatella inside. I like to put it on salads (which makes it healthier I think), but mixed into this pasta, the creamy burrata coats the pasta to make the sauce oh-so-irresistible. You can find it in many grocery stores these days – the one I used here is from Trader Joe’s (and is more reasonably priced than many I’ve seen).
- 1 pound fettuccine or other long pasta
- 3 Tbsp. garlic infused olive oil or 3 Tbsp. olive oil plus 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 lb. cherry tomatoes
- 8 basil leaves
- 2 balls of burrata cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente.
- While the pasta cooks, heat the oil in a large saute pan. If using garlic, smash the garlic colves with the side of your knife and toss them into the oil. Cook the garlic cloves until they turn golden, then remove and discard. You just want to infuse the oil with the garlic flavor.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan and cook until the tomatoes soften and start to break down, about 5 minutes.
- Add the al dente pasta to the saute pan along with ½ cup of the cooking liquid. Stir until the sauce coats the tomatoes and most of the liquid is absorbed, 1-2 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
- Divide pasta and tomatoes among 4 plates. Tear two basil leaves over each serving. Tear the burrata in half and place one half on each bowl of pasta. Serve immediately.